Re: Units in postgresql.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: Units in postgresql.conf
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I think it would be useful to allow units to be added to these settings, for
> example...
> shared_buffers = 512MB
> which is a bit cumbersome to calculate right now (you'd need = 65536).
>
> I haven't thought yet how to parse or implement this, but would people find
> this useful?

Would this extend to things like "random_page_cost" and similar?

If the random_page_cost were specifiable in seconds or ms it might be easier
to someday write a program to measure such values on particular hardware
platforms.   (though I guess for that to work, the config file would also
need to add the reference cost (is it a non-random page access) as well...)