Re: Units in postgresql.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Units in postgresql.conf
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter,

> One frequent source of confusion are the different units that the parameters
> in postgresql.conf use.  shared_buffers is in 8 kB, work_mem is in 1 kB;
> bgwriter_delay is in milliseconds, checkpoint_warning is in seconds.
> Obviously, we can't change that without inconveniencing a lot of users.
>
> I think it would be useful to allow units to be added to these settings, for
> example
>
> shared_buffers = 1000kB
> checkpoint_warning = 30s
>
> This would also allow
>
> shared_buffers = 512MB
>
> which is a bit cumbersome to calculate right now (you'd need = 65536).
>
> I haven't thought yet how to parse or implement this, but would people find
> this useful?

Well, it's on my TODO list for 8.2 to write a simple postgresql.conf
conversion utility in Perl.   If you wanted to make a change like that,
it would make finishing that mandatory.

Just as well, right now half the vacuum settings are in a different
section than another half.

--Josh