Re: pgxs problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: pgxs problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 10:29:14AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>>The documented behavior is that pgxs invokes whatever pg_config is in
>>your PATH.
>
> How do people with multiple PostgreSQL installations keep track of
> which installation they're using?  I use shell scripts that set
> PATH and a few other environment variables and then exec the command
> I want to run (shell aliases would also work).  For example, I'd
> type "pg73 psql" to run the 7.3 version of psql (which would connect
> to a 7.3 server) and I'd type "pg82 gmake" to build an extension
> for 8.2devel.  Prefixing each command with pgXX is a minor nuisance
> but by being explicit I always know what version I'm using.
>
> What are others doing?

I use something very similar that Tom Lane sent me a while back. The
only difference is I type, say, "pg81" just once, and it sets up my
environment for 8.1 (PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, PGDATA, etc). From that
point on I just use normal commands. Works great for me.

Joe