Re: Way to eliminate pg_dump activity from pg_stat_all ? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Erik Jones
Subject Re: Way to eliminate pg_dump activity from pg_stat_all ?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Jan 20, 2009, at 11:27 AM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:

> It is not the db that's never used.  Various tables in the db are
> never used. This is a database that's been continually added to and
> modified for ten years -- sometimes cruft accumulates.

Understood.

> It would be nice to get pg_dump activity out of the stats for
> another reason --- pg_dump adds to the sequential scan activity, in
> a way that does not represent the "typical" use of the database.
> Essentially pg_dump is an atypical user of  the database, so it's
> stats are "different" than the rest of the activity.

It sounds like the proper wording for a feature request here would be
something like "Disable stats collection on a per-session basis".

> Erik Jones wrote:
>> I doubt it.  From the server's perspective, pg_dump is just a
>> client executing queries.  If the db is never used, why are you
>> continually backing it up?
>>
>> On Dec 16, 2008, at 12:55 PM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
>>
>>> But I think I'm getting clutter from the nightly backups.  Is
>>> there a way to keep pg_dump activity out of the statistics? I can
>>> think of several reasons to want such activity excluded, not just
>>> this one.

Erik Jones, Database Administrator
Engine Yard
Support, Scalability, Reliability