Re: Weird behaviour on a join with multiple keys - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Charlie Clark
Subject Re: Weird behaviour on a join with multiple keys
Date
List pgsql-general
Am 09.03.2007 um 05:30 schrieb Tom Lane:

> Charlie Clark <charlie@begeistert.org> writes:
>> I'm getting unexpected results on a query which involves joining two
>> tables on two common variables (firstname and lastname).
>
> That looks like it should work.  Given that you describe the
> columns as
> "names" I'm supposing they are of textual datatypes.  Maybe you have a
> messed-up encoding or locale situation that is causing the sorts to
> not
> work properly?  What PG version is this exactly, on what platform, and
> what do "show lc_collate" and "show server_encoding" say?

I'm running PostgreSQL 8.1.4 on Mac OS X

psytec=# show lc_collate;
lc_collate
-------------
de_DE.UTF-8
(1 row)

psytec=# show server_encoding;
server_encoding
LATIN1
(1 row)

I thought that it might be something to do with the encoding - one of
the tables has just been imported and I had some "fun" doing that but
it "looks" okay now. Is there a way of checking?

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Helmholtzstr. 20