Re: contrib promotion? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: contrib promotion?
Date
Re: contrib promotion?  (John DeSoi <desoi@pgedit.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
>> There has been action to clean up and remove some contrib modules, and
>> this is good. I would like to suggest that we should try to move one or
>> two the other way, namely right into the core proper, on the ground that
>> they have widespread applicability and should have maximum visibility.
>> I'm talking particularly about pgcrypto and tsearch2, and the main thing
>> lacking that I see with these is documentation.
>
> I don't see a strong need for moving pgcrypto into core, and there's at
> least one argument against it: if someone needs a crypto-free version of
> postgres for use someplace with benighted laws, they would be screwed.

Doesn't our inclusion of md5() pretty much blow that argument away?
(Just asking).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240   Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL
solutionssince 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/