Re: contrib promotion? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: contrib promotion?
Date
Re: contrib promotion?  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Re: contrib promotion?  (Teodor Sigaev <teodor@sigaev.ru>)
Re: contrib promotion?  ("Marko Kreen" <markokr@gmail.com>)
Re: contrib promotion?  (Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> There has been action to clean up and remove some contrib modules, and
> this is good. I would like to suggest that we should try to move one or
> two the other way, namely right into the core proper, on the ground that
> they have widespread applicability and should have maximum visibility.
> I'm talking particularly about pgcrypto and tsearch2, and the main thing
> lacking that I see with these is documentation.

I don't see a strong need for moving pgcrypto into core, and there's at
least one argument against it: if someone needs a crypto-free version of
postgres for use someplace with benighted laws, they would be screwed.

tsearch2 is functionality that definitely should be in core eventually,
but even Oleg still says it's not done.  Aside from the documentation
issue, it's not clear that we've got a stable API for it.