Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

>The right way to proceed is what was mentioned in another message: work
>harder at educating packagers about which non-core projects are worth
>including in their packages.  I have to confess contributing to the
>problem, as I'm not currently including eg. Slony in the Red Hat RPMs.
>I certainly should be --- but "fixing" that by pushing Slony into the
>core PG distro is not a solution.

Well, there are other good reasons not to in the slony case.

But anyway, I was wondering if we could make life easier by providing a
script which would fetch some set of addon features, and make building
the whole lot together easy.

No doubt some people will not want to make choices, but I think we need
to, to some extent. I broadly agree with what Martijn has just said,
although I doubt that pgFoundry's Top Downloads section is much of a
guide. If we recommend something we need to be prepared to exerciase
some jusgement and have the courage of our convictions.

Personally, I would start with:

pl/java
pl/ruby
pl/php
jdbc driver
odbc driver
npgsql
python stuff (not sure which, as I don't use it)

The perl and php clients, and libpqxx would also be possibilities.

cheers

andrew