Re: Version/Change Management of functions? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kenneth Downs
Subject Re: Version/Change Management of functions?
Date
List pgsql-general
Michael Loftis wrote:

> OK I know this is an odd question but I'm working on an app that will
> rely more and more on database driven functions, and while the app's
> source is in SVN, and I intend for the source of the SQL scripts to
> also be there, I was wondering...what are people doing for version
> control and change management on their custom (esp PL/pgSQL and say
> PL/Perl) functions?

We went for generating all server-side code out of a data dictionary.
This makes for a significant change in the way change management is handled.

In this scenario change management becomes the analysis of "before" and
"after" data dictionaries.  If the changes are all valid, build the code.

> --
> "Genius might be described as a supreme capacity for getting its
> possessors
> into trouble of all kinds."
> -- Samuel Butler

Attachment