Problem with array subscripts in plpgsql trigger function - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Erik Jones
Subject Problem with array subscripts in plpgsql trigger function
Date
List pgsql-sql
Ok, I have a trigger set up on the following (stripped down) table:

CREATE TABLE members (
member_id   bigint,
member_status_id   smallint,
member_is_deleted    boolean
);

Here's a shortened version of the trigger function:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION update_member() RETURNS TRIGGER AS $um$
DECLARE   status_deltas integer[];
BEGIN   IF(NEW.member_status_id != OLD.member_status_id AND
NEW.member_is_deleted IS NOT TRUE) THEN      status_deltas[NEW.member_status_id] := 1;
status_deltas[OLD.member_status_id]:= -1;   END IF;   /*and after a couple more such conditional assignments I use the

values in status_deltas to update another table holding status totals here*/
END;
$um$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

on the two lines that access set array values I'm getting the following
error:

ERROR:  invalid array subscripts

What gives?

--