Re: join two tables with sharing some columns between two - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Thomas Beutin
Subject Re: join two tables with sharing some columns between two
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi,

filippo wrote:
> I have two tables like these: (this is an example, the actual tables
> have diffferent fields and meanings)
>
> TABLE1
> id
> person_name
> date_arrival
> date_departure
>
> TABLE2
> id
> car_description
> date_arrival
> date_departure
>
> I'd like to make a query to have such resulting table
>
> RESULTING_TABLE
> id
> person_name
> car_description
> date_arrival
> date_departure
>
> the id is the primary key for the three tables and it's unique for the
> three (id in table1 cannot be in table2, I use the same counter to
> generate the id for table1 and table2).

SELECTid, person_name, NULL AS car_description, date_arrival, date_departureFROM TABLE1
UNION
SELECTid, NULL AS person_name, car_description, date_arrival, date_departureFROM TABLE2
ORDER BY <what you want>

But be careful, w/o constraints there's no guarantee that the id's are
really unique on both tables!

HTH,
-tb