Re: Fixed length datatypes. WAS [GENERAL] UUID's as - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Hallgren
Subject Re: Fixed length datatypes. WAS [GENERAL] UUID's as
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:> Jim,>>> I agree about splitting the utilities, except that I think the database>> should be able to
generateUUIDs somehow.>> There is a GUID add-in, and someone is working on a 2nd one.  UUIDs

are not part of the SQL standard, and we've only seen sporadic demand
for them (and different types each time) so I can't imagine one making
it further than contrib real soon.>> Also, one could argue that UUIDs are a foot gun, so they're not
exactly the type of thing we want to advocate in advance of demand.>

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:> It seems to me that maybe the backend should include a 16-byte fixed> length object
(afterall, we've got 1, 2, 4 and 8 bytes already) and> then people can use that to build whatever they like, using
domains,>for example...>

So how about the split? I.e. just add a 16 byte data type and forget all
about UUID's for now.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren