Re: Need a mentor, and a project. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From decibel
Subject Re: Need a mentor, and a project.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Dec 11, 2009, at 8:44 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Ashish wrote:
>>> I am thinking about starting with the following TODO item:
>>> --> Have EXPLAIN ANALYZE issue NOTICE messages when the estimated
>>> and actual row counts differ by a specified percentage.
>
>> I even have a sample patch you can use as a start, attached.
>
> IMO the hard part of the TODO item is to design a useful user interface
> for highlighting specific EXPLAIN entries (and NOTICE messages probably
> ain't it either).  Getting the numbers is trivial.

What about prefixing explain output with line numbers? NOTICEs (or whatever mechanism) could then reference the line
numbers.

Unfortunately, I think you'll be very hard-pressed to come up with a way to denote problems on the lines themselves,
sincehorizontal space is already very hard to come by in complex plans.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net