Schema management tool - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Kyle Bateman
Subject Schema management tool
Date
List pgsql-sql
Helvetica,sans-serif">Patrick,

> Could someone give me some advice or point me to an article that would help
> manage views?  I have a view that I use in conjunction with other views,
> and since I have to drop the view and then recreate it, I'm force to drop
> and recreate all other views that the original view was used in.
> TIA

As I recall, the IT staff at Action Target, Inc. two years ago developed a
non-free tool for this purpose.   They were planning to start a spin-off
company to market PostgreSQL admin tools, but I don't know how far they got
with the idea.

Try contacting Action Target's webmaster to see if you can find anything out:
frameworkfor authoring schemas in postgres.  You create a meta-sql structure for each database object you want in the
database. Then you call wyseman to drop and/or re-create the object, along with all its dependencies.<br /><br /> This
isa great tool for working on a live database.  You can maintain a pristine, authoritative definition of your schema,
andstill migrate your live database along as you make changes to the design.  When you want to modify a section of the
schemathat is deep within the tree of dependencies, wyseman will take care of dropping, rebuilding, and granting
permissionson all the necessary objects in order to get into the part you want to change.<br /><br /> Wyseman also
takescare of building a "data dictionary" where you can query for things like printable titles, and pop-up helps for
tablesand columns in multiple languages.  This is a nice layer to put on top of postgres and just under your ERP.<br
/><br/> These tools are accessible on wyatterp.com.  Due to lack of time, I have not kept current software in the
downloadarea.  We are using much later stuff in-house.  But I would be happy to share more recent versions if there is
anyinterest out there.  It would be particularly helpful if anyone were willing to help maintain the website and
(currentlya sad excuse for) documentation.<br /><br /> There is also a run-time library (wylib) for rapid construction
ofERP applications.  We have about 30 applications built in the framework that run our entire business.<br /><br />