Re: Tuning New Server (slow function) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ron St-Pierre
Subject Re: Tuning New Server (slow function)
Date
List pgsql-performance
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 02:27:41PM -0700, Ron St-Pierre wrote:
>
>> We just purchased a new Dell PowerEdge 2800 (dual xeon, 8GB RAM, raid 4,
>> RHEL, postgres 8.1) and ported our old database over to it (single cpu,
>>

> RAID *4*?

oops, raid 5 (but we are getting good io throughput...)
> If you do any kind of updating at all, you're likely to be real unhappy
> with that...
>

>> 2GB RAM, no raid, postgres 7.4). Our apps perform great on it, however
>> some queries are super slow. One function in particular, which used to
>> take 15-30 minutes on the old server, has been running now for over 12
>> hours:
>>  BEGIN
>>      TRUNCATE stock.datacount;
>>      FOR rec IN SELECT itemID, item, hexValue FROM stock.activeitem LOOP
>>          histdate := (SELECT updatedate FROM stock.historical s WHERE
>> s.itemID=rec.itemID ORDER BY updatedate DESC LIMIT 1);
>>          IF histdate IS NOT NULL THEN
>>              funddate := (SELECT updatedate FROM stock.funddata s WHERE
>> s.itemID=rec.itemID);
>>              techdate := (SELECT updatedate FROM stock.techsignals s
>> WHERE s.itemID=rec.itemID);
>>              IF (histdate <> funddate) OR (histdate <> techdate) OR
>> (funddate IS NULL) OR (techdate IS NULL) THEN
>>                  counter := counter + 1;
>>                  outrec.itemID := rec.itemID;
>>                  outrec.item := rec.item;
>>                  outrec.hexvalue := rec.hexvalue;
>>                  RETURN NEXT outrec;
>>              END IF;
>>          END IF;
>>      END LOOP;
>>      INSERT INTO stock.datacount (itemcount) VALUES (counter);
>>      COPY stock.datacount TO ''/tmp/datacount'';
>>      RETURN;
>>  END;
>>
>> note: stock.activeitem contains about 75000 rows
>>

> Getting EXPLAIN ANALYZE from the queries would be good. Adding debug
> output via NOTICE to see how long each step is taking would be a good
> idea, too.

I set client_min_messages = debug2, log_min_messages = debug2 and
log_statement = 'all' and am running the query with EXPLAIN ANALYZE. I
don't know how long it will take until something useful returns, but I
will let it run for a while.
> Of course, even better would be to do away with the cursor...

How would I rewrite it to do away with the cursor?
>> "top" shows:
>> CPU states:  cpu    user    nice  system    irq  softirq  iowait    idle
>>         total    5.8%    0.6%   31.2%   0.0%     0.0%    0.5%   61.6%
>> Mem:  8152592k av, 8143012k used,    9580k free,       0k shrd,  179888k
>> buff
>>

> The high system % (if I'm reading this correctly) makes me wonder if
> this is some kind of locking issue.

But it's the only postgres process running.