Re: unexpected shutdown - Mailing list pgsql-general

From developer@wexwarez.com
Subject Re: unexpected shutdown
Date
List pgsql-general
> <developer@wexwarez.com> writes:
>
>> My database has shutdown several times in the last couple days.  I have
>> no
>> idea why.  I am running centos and I have not rebooted the server or
>> made
>> any configuration changes.  I am running postgres 8.2 and it has been
>> stable since I installed it about 5 months ago.  The databases crashes
>> and
>> so my software application goes down.  When I restart my application
>> everything seems to work fine.  But then it crashes again, something
>> appears to be corrupt.  Here are my logs:
>>

>> LOG:  server process (PID 501) was terminated by signal 9
>
> Signal 9 is SIGKILL which means something outside Postgres is killing
> Postgres
> processes. Either something is doing kill -9 <pid> of a Postgres pid.
>
> There used to be some OSes that recorded a SIGKILL process was killed
> because
> it had run out of memory, but I'm not sure Linux would report it as a
> SIGKILL.
> What does dmesg say, it doesn't have any OOM messages does it?
>
> --
>   Gregory Stark
>   EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com

Thanks for the replies...

The box is very secure and I think I can safely say no one did a kill -9
on the postgres process.  The java application that accesses postgres does
sometimes have memory issues but i am surprised this would affect
postgres.    I am surprised linux allowed one process to affect the other
like that. Should i be increasing postgres memory parameters or do you
think this might just indicate the box is overloaded?  Is there anything i
could do logging wise on the postgres side to get a better indication of
what is happening?

thanks