Re: Repetitive code - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Joe
Subject Re: Repetitive code
Date
List pgsql-sql
Aaron Bono wrote:
> I haven't stared at your query as long as you have so I may have missed
> something but it looks like in all the selects you are combining the
> first column in the select is the column you filter on.  So the the
> outer query doesn't have to know wiether it is a new or changed row:
>
> SELECT * FROM (
>     SELECT created as my_date, topic_id, 0, 0, 0, 0 FROM topic
>     WHERE page_type IN (1, 2)
>   UNION
> [snip]
>     SELECT e.updated as my_date, e.topic_id, 1, 1, entry_id, rel_type
>     FROM topic_entry e, topic t
>     WHERE e.topic_id = t.topic_id
>       AND date_trunc('day', e.updated) != e.created
>       AND page_type IN (1, 2)
> ) my_union
> where my_union.my_date >= $dt

Thanks Aaron.  That does look like a great solution, overlooked since
I'm not that familiar with SELECTs in the FROM clause.  It may even make
it possible to discard the interim table and do the web page/RSS feed
directly from the view.

> I would almost be tempted to create a view for each small query and name
> them something meaningful and then another view that does the union.  It
> would make the queries easier to understand at least (self documented).

That sounds like a good idea too because schema changes would be
somewhat insulated by the layered views.

Best regards,

Joe