Re: pg_dump/restore problem - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From renneyt@yahoo.com
Subject Re: pg_dump/restore problem
Date
List pgsql-admin
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 04:51:18PM -0400, renneyt@yahoo.com wrote:
I am trying to move some data from an 8.0.7 instance to a 7.4.8
instance. I did a pg_dump and then did a pg_restore.
For the most part the data transferred through to the older instance but
I had problems with the sequence updates.

SELECT pg_catalog.setval(pg_catalog.pg_get_serial_sequence('nw_foo',
'foo_id'), 678, true);
ERROR:  function pg_catalog.pg_get_serial_sequence("unknown", "unknown")
does not exist
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You may
need to add explicit type casts.

I am looking for a an alternative to manually issuing alter sequence
commands.
>From http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/release-8-0.html:

# Add pg_get_serial_sequence() to return a SERIAL column's sequence name
(Christopher)

Does  pg_get_serial_sequence()  exist as plpgsql code? Where may I find it? I would like to retrofit it into a 7.4.8 PG database.

Thanks

This allows automated scripts to reliably find the SERIAL sequence name.

If you use a 7.x copy of pg_dump it might work, though there could be
catalog changes that make that a problem.