Re: TODO: Add pg_get_acldef(), pg_get_typedefault(), - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: TODO: Add pg_get_acldef(), pg_get_typedefault(),
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Mark Kirkwood wrote:

> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>

>> Here's the relevant thread:
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-12/msg00756.php
>>
>> The intention is to flesh out the existing pg_get_blahdef functions,
>> such as pg_get_viewdef(). This clearly means that the functions should
>> output a complete CREATE command.
>>

> Ok, good point, if I'm writing some admin or data movement package,
> then these guys would be great!
>
> I guess a possible compromise for those who want to keep the core
> backend lean is to implement pg_get_blahdef (and friends) in a contrib
> module similar to (or part of) the adminpack stuff.
>
> This would mean that pg_dump would *not* use them - but if I've
> followed this thread properly, that may be fine.

Yes ... except that I don't see any good reason to have these in a
contrib module and keep, say, pg_get_viewdef() in core. They belong
together, I think, and I don't think they represent so much bloat that
having them in core would be a huge problem. Either way, pg_dump should
not use them, I think. One reason pg_dump should not use them is that
creation might involve several things which it would want to split up
for reasons of efficiency and robustness, e.g. delaying creation of a
constraint until after data is loaded.

cheers

andrew