Re: TODO: Add pg_get_acldef(), pg_get_typedefault(), pg_get_attrdef(), - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: TODO: Add pg_get_acldef(), pg_get_typedefault(), pg_get_attrdef(),
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Name and datatype was just an example. I am trying to get people to
>> actually provide feedback (thank you). Andrew brought up that also
>> including the constraints would be a good idea which I agree.
>
> You also need rules, triggers, inheritance, indexes, primary key
> specification, foreign keys, default values, CHECK constraints, storage
> configuration (i.e., "plain", "extended", etc), statistics
> configuration.  Maybe I'm still missing something.  How do you do all
> that with a single result set?

My argument is to find a way to make it a little easier for application
and API developers.

Most of those people will not need the storage configuration or the
statistics. Nor will they likely (although less powerful of an argument)
need the foreign key information.

Default values? Maybe. Check constraints o.k.

It is certainly possible to build a function to return all of this in a
result set.

Joshua D. Drake

--
            === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===      Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency:
+1.800.492.2240     Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997