Re: TODO: Add pg_get_acldef(), pg_get_typedefault(), pg_get_attrdef(), - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: TODO: Add pg_get_acldef(), pg_get_typedefault(), pg_get_attrdef(),
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> Well, I certainly don't think a setof <name, type> is adequate for
> pg_get_tabledef(). What about constraints? And what you are suggesting
> can probably be got by very simple queries against either the catalog or
> the information schema, and seems to me to have little value.

Well it isn't simple queries because they aren't documented. It is a lot
easier to say, select pg_get_tabledesc('foo') then a select with 3
different joins and a couple of where clauses (I actually don't think it
is that bad. I have a query that does it.) What I am suggesting is that
we have a standard way for APIs to get information that they need.

The information doesn't need to be limited to just the name and type, we
could add cosntraint info. I am not against that at all.

Anyway, I suggest having both functions. One that will spit out the
actual create information, and the other set that gives user space
usable information.

Joshua D. Drake

--
            === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===      Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency:
+1.800.492.2240     Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997