Re: TODO: Add pg_get_acldef(), pg_get_typedefault(), pg_get_attrdef(), - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: TODO: Add pg_get_acldef(), pg_get_typedefault(), pg_get_attrdef(),
Date
Re: TODO: Add pg_get_acldef(), pg_get_typedefault(), pg_get_attrdef(),  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
>> Maybe I am misunderstanding the TODO (which is entirely possible due to
>> the complete lack of documentation on the feature) but I *thought* all I
>> was going to do was create 6 functions that could be called to get
>> various useful information?
>>
>> For example, pg_get_tabledef() would be a very handy function to use for
>> just about any abstracted API. As it stands now most (like Pear) create
>> their own custom queries/functions to handle it but they are more often
>> then not very innefficient.
>
> I thought the TODO item was exactly what you described:
>
>     * %Add pg_get_acldef(), pg_get_typedefault(), pg_get_attrdef(),
>       pg_get_tabledef(), pg_get_domaindef(), pg_get_functiondef()
>
> We have per-server-version checks in pg_dump, so I figured the idea was
> to use more of those functions if the exist, like we do now.  It is true
> that you can't modify them for old versions as easily as you can if they
> are hardcoded in pg_dump, but we our existing functions seems to work
> fine.

O.k. so now what I am getting from this thread is, the functions exist
now in pg_dump but we want to pull them out of pg_dump and push them
into the backend?

Joshua D. Drake

--
            === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===      Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency:
+1.800.492.2240     Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997