Re: Proposal for debugging of server-side stored procedures - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Proposal for debugging of server-side stored procedures
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:

[snip]
> Perl seems a little more messy in that I can't find a documented C API to
> hook into the interpreter, but it looks as if it may be possible to cook
> something up with writing a new DB package [2] which uses XS call a C
> callback. The other issue is that unlike Python, the debug capability must
> be specified when creating the instance of interpreter rather than being
> able to enable/disable debugging on the fly so it may mean that two
> instances of the perl interpreter need to be maintained in memory - a
> standard instance and a debugging instance.

Debugging embedded perl has some significant challenges. You might find
it interesting to see what can be done in the most famous embedded
situation: mod_perl. See http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/debug.html

using ptkdb might be nice ....

cheers

andrew