Re: Regarding pg_dump utility - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: Regarding pg_dump utility
Date
List pgsql-performance
Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Personally I think it would be neat.  For example the admin-tool guys
> would be able to get a dump without invoking an external program.
> Second it would really be independent of core releases (other than being
> tied to the output format.)  pg_dump would be just a simple caller of
> such a library, and anyone else would be able to get dumps easily, in
> whatever format.

pgAdmin currently invokes pg_dump/restore externally with pipes attached
to stdin/out/err, but a library implementation would solve some
headaches (esp. concerning portability) managing background
execution/GUI updates/process control. I'd like a libpgdumprestore
library, with pg_dump/pg_restore being lean wrapper programs.

Regards,
Andreas