Re: COPY (query) TO file - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: COPY (query) TO file
Date
Re: COPY (query) TO file  (Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com>)
Re: COPY (query) TO file  (David Fetter <david@fetter.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
Mark Woodward wrote:
> Tom had posted a question about file compression with copy. I thought
> about it, and I want to through this out and see if anyone things it is a
> good idea.
>
> Currently, the COPY command only copies a table, what if it could operate
> with a query, as:
>
> COPY (select * from mytable where foo='bar') as BAR TO stdout

Isn't this already being worked on? The TODO list says:
 Allow COPY to output from views Another idea would be to allow actual SELECT statements in a COPY.

Personally I strongly favor the second option as being more flexible
than the first.

cheers

andrew