Re: Migration to Maven - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Pavel Raiskup
Subject Re: Migration to Maven
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On Wednesday 02 of December 2015 02:49:07 Pavel Kajaba wrote:
> Fedora packages are build offline and all binary files (jars and class
> files) are removed

Just to give it some reasoning.

We remove all (program/code) binary files from upstream tarballs, because
you simply (a) *can't be sure* what the binary does and (b) you can't tell
whether licensing is not broken (we need to be sure we can legally
re-distribute).

> simply all dependencies have to be obtained from software, which is
> packed in Fedora already.

Yes, either package must be built completely from source, or we may use
our other already distributed packages as dependencies (which already
_must_ built from source too).

Downloading some binary jars from internet is not acceptable.  Fedora is
not alone -- this issue probably blocks all (sane) FOSS distributions
around.

Pavel