Re: in memory views - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Thomas Vatter
Subject Re: in memory views
Date
Re: in memory views  ("Dave Dutcher" <dave@tridecap.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 10:41, Thomas Vatter wrote:
Scott Marlowe wrote:

What happens if you do this by declaring it as a cursor and then
fetching the first row?

I do executeQuery(), for the resultSet I do next() and return one row,
but wait, I have to review the logic in this area, I can tell you
tomorrow

A good short test is to run explain analyze on the query from the psql
command line.  If it shows an execution time of significantly less than
what you get from you application, then it is likely that the real
problem is that your application is receiving the whole result set via
libpq and waiting for that.  A cursor will solve that problem.

              http://archives.postgresql.org

Yes, the difference between psql command line and application is 6 seconds to 40 seconds. It is
exactly the step resultSet = excecuteQuery() that needs 40 seconds. I use next() as a cursor
through the resultSet, but I fear this is not enough, do I have to use createStatement(resultSetType,
resultSetConcurrency) respectively prepareStatement (resultSetType, resultSetConcurrency) to
achieve the cursor behaviour?

regards
tom