Re: in memory views - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Thomas Vatter
Subject Re: in memory views
Date
List pgsql-performance
Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 04:55, Thomas Vatter wrote:
Tino Wildenhain wrote:

Thomas Vatter schrieb:

is there a possibility for creating views or temp tables in memory to
avoid disk io when user makes select operations?
No need. The data will be available in OS and database caches if
they are really required often. If not, tune up the caches and
do a regular "pre select".

Regards
Tino

hmm, I am selecting a resultset with 1300 rows joined from 12 tables.
with jdbc I am waiting 40 seconds until the first row appears. The
following rows appear really fast but the 40 seconds are a problem.
Are you selecting the whole set at once?  Or are you placing it into a
cursor?

What happens if you do this by declaring it as a cursor and then
fetching the first row?

              http://archives.postgresql.org

I do executeQuery(), for the resultSet I do next() and return one row, but wait, I have to review the logic in this area, I can tell you tomorrow

regards
tom