Re: extremely slow when execute select/delete for certain - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Markus Schaber
Subject Re: extremely slow when execute select/delete for certain
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi, Kah,

kah_hang_ang@toray.com.my wrote:

> I already vacuum those tables with full option but it still the same.
>
> What could be the possible causes of this problem?
> How can I solve it?
>
> CPU - Intel Xeon 2.40 GHz
> Memory - 1.5G
> Postgresql version: 7.2.2

First, you should consider to upgrade your PostgreSQL server to a newer
version, at least to 7.2.8 which fixes some critical bugs.

But it will be much better to upgrade to current 8.1 version, as I think
that your problem is caused by index bloat, and indices are handled much
better in 8.1.

Try recreating your indices using REINDEX command.

HTH,
Markus