Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL
Date
Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL  (Brent Verner <brent@rcfile.org>)
Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL  (Matthew Kirkwood <matthew@hairy.beasts.org>)
Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Brent Verner <brent@rcfile.org> writes:
> Calling the two licenses "similar" is only an invitation to engage
> in license war.

Good point.

> I'd suggest something like the following (as long
> as it doesn't contain any factual errors).

>    The PostgreSQL project has released its code under the BSD
>    license since its inception.  Occasionally, users request that
>    the project be relicensed under the GPL.  Many PostgreSQL
>    developers feel the GPL contains certain restrictions that
>    might limit the ability of commercial entities to contribute
>    or continue contributing to the codebase, and question the
>    need for such restrictions.  In light of these concerns, we
>    will continue with the BSD license for the foreseeable future.

This is really good as far as it goes.  I'd also like to see the
point made that we cannot simply relicense the code, even if we wished
to, because the current developers are not the sole authors/owners.
Perhaps something like this:

   The PostgreSQL project has released its code under the BSD license
   since its inception; as did the Berkeley Postgres project before us.
   Occasionally, users suggest that the project be relicensed under the
   GPL.  This is not very practical because it would require the
   concurrence not only of the current developers, but many past
   contributors both at Berkeley and all over the net.  Furthermore,
   many PostgreSQL developers feel the GPL contains restrictions that
   would limit the ability of commercial entities to contribute or
   continue contributing to the codebase, and question the need for such
   restrictions.  In light of these issues, we will continue with the
   BSD license for the foreseeable future.