Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Brent Verner
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL
Date
Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
[2002-01-20 23:43] Bruce Momjian said:

| At the great risk of causing chaos, let me chime in on this.  First, in

| However, we clearly don't have unanimous agreement on using GPL so I
| would like to address this in an FAQ item to get it more concrete.  What
| do people think of this summary:

| The GPL is similar to BSD, except that it has certain anti-closed source
| (proprietary) restrictions.

Calling the two licenses "similar" is only an invitation to engage
in license war.  I'd suggest something like the following (as long
as it doesn't contain any factual errors).

   The PostgreSQL project has released its code under the BSD
   license since its inception.  Occasionally, users request that
   the project be relicensed under the GPL.  Many PostgreSQL
   developers feel the GPL contains certain restrictions that
   might limit the ability of commercial entities to contribute
   or continue contributing to the codebase, and question the
   need for such restrictions.  In light of these concerns, we
   will continue with the BSD license for the foreseeable future.

cheers.
  brent

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman