Re: notice about costly ri checks (2) - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Re: notice about costly ri checks (2)
Date
Re: notice about costly ri checks (2)  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-patches
On Mar 5, 2004, at 1:49 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Agreed.  The current text is:
>
>     NOTICE:  costly cross-type foreign key because of component 1
>
> Seems we should say something like:
>
>     NOTICE:  foreign key constraint 'constrname' must use a costly
> cross-type conversion

It seems to me that in some ways this is similar to the situation where
indexes are created to enforce a UNIQUE constraint. Indexes also incur
additional overhead for inserts and updates, but make no mention of the
cost: the DBA is assumed to know that, or they can check the docs if
they're interested in why such a notice is being raised. I'd think
something as simple as

NOTICE: foreign key constraint 'constrname' will require a cross-type
conversion

similar to
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / UNIQUE will create implicit index
"foox_interesting_key" for table "foox"

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com