Re: Migrating a Database to a new tablespace - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Markus Schaber
Subject Re: Migrating a Database to a new tablespace
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi, Tom,

Tom Lane wrote:

>>As I said the leftovers are likely to be caused by hard kills and
>>backend crashes, so I would not go into deeper analysis, but maybe the
>>finding and possibly removing of such leftovers should be half-automated
>>to assist server admins.
>
> It's been discussed.  Personally I'm afraid of the idea of automatically
> deleting files that seem unreferenced, but having a tool to find them
> for manual deletion isn't a bad idea.

I also don't like the idea of full automated deletion, that's why I
wrote half-automated.

I thought of a tool that enumarates suspective files. Then admins can
look at the mtime/atime, or move them away and try what happens, or even
pipe the output to "xargs rm -rf" if they want.

Thanks,
Markus