Re: Quick Performance Poll - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Markus Schaber
Subject Re: Quick Performance Poll
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi, Luke,

Luke Lonergan wrote:

> The current drawback to bitmap index is that it isn't very maintainable
> under insert/update, although it is safe for those operations.  For now, you
> have to drop index, do inserts/updates, rebuild index.

So they effectively turn the table into a read-only table for now.

Are they capable to index custom datatypes like the PostGIS geometries
that use the GIST mechanism? This could probably speed up our Geo
Databases for Map rendering, containing static data that is updated
approx. 2 times per year.

Markus