Re: connection reset error, followed by broken pipe (pg74.213.jdbc3.jar) - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Oliver Jowett
Subject Re: connection reset error, followed by broken pipe (pg74.213.jdbc3.jar)
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Ed Blackmore wrote:
> Hi Markus,
>
> Thankyou for your assistance.
>

>>So it seems that the network connection breaks from time to time
>>Independently from making your application more robust, you might want
>>to put some research into that.
>

> Yes, I put a minutely ping script in place, which wasn't able to
> detect a failure at a time when the connection was lost. The servers
> are dedicated server (installed and hosted by another company), so
> I've been trying to detect any outages to report to them.

One common cause of connection loss is if there is a stateful firewall
or NAT between your client and server .. if the firewall loses the
connection state for some reason (e.g. if the connection goes idle for a
while and the firewall times it out, or if the firewall is restarted),
then the connection will break.

-O