Re: Inserts optimization? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Markus Schaber
Subject Re: Inserts optimization?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi, Magnus,

Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>To support mysql, they break performance for _every other_
>>database system?
> Actually, it probably helps on SQLite as well.

AFAICS from the FAQ http://www.sqlite.org/faq.html#q7 and #q8, SQLite
does serialize itsself.

> And considering they only
> support postgresql, mysql and sqlite, there is some merit to it from
> their perspective.

Okay, I understand, but I hesitate to endorse it.

IMHO, they should write their application in a "normal" way, and then
have the serialization etc. encapsulated in the database driver
interface (possibly a wrapper class or so).

>><cynism>
>>Now, I understand how the mysql people manage to spread the
>>legend of mysql being fast. They convince software developers
>>to thwart all others.
>></>
> Yes, same as the fact that most (at least FOSS) web project-du-jour are
> "dumbed down" to the mysql featureset. (And not just mysql, but
> mysql-lowest-common-factors, which means myisam etc)

Well, most of those projects don't need a database, they need a bunch of
tables and a lock.

Heck, they even use client-side SELECT-loops in PHP instead of a JOIN
because "I always confuse left and right".

Markus