Re: pg 8.1.3, AIX, huge box, painfully slow. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Gavin Hamill
Subject Re: pg 8.1.3, AIX, huge box, painfully slow.
Date
List pgsql-performance
Tom Lane wrote:

>Gavin Hamill <gdh@laterooms.com> writes:
>

>>would a simple  "#define LWLOCK_PADDED_SIZE  128" be sufficient?
>>

>Yeah, that's fine.

OK I tried that but noticed no real improvement... in the interim I've
installed Debian on the pSeries (using
http://debian.gonicus.de/debian/dists/sarge/main/disks-powerpc/current/pseries/install.txt
) and using a simple load-test script - it picks a 'hotelsearch' select
at random from a big file and just does a pg_query on that via PHP...

Using apachebench with 10 clients gave a loadavg of about 10 after a few
minutes, and the logs showed typical query times of 8 seconds. Again, no
disk activity, normal context-switching, just full-out CPU usage...

We're improving the quality + efficiency of the hotelsearch function all
the time (Simon will certainly be able to vouch for its complexity) - am
really uncertain what to do next tho! :/

Cheers,
Gavin.