Re: No automatic reconnect after network error - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Oliver Jowett
Subject Re: No automatic reconnect after network error
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Markus Riehl wrote:

> I think this means that the PostgreSQL JDBC driver doesn't support automatic
> reconnection. And I don't see this feature on the Roadmap. Is it unusual to
> use PostgreSQL in a multi server environment?

It's unusual to have JDBC drivers automatically reconnect. I could see
an argument for it if you could guarantee that the reconnection was
invisible to the user .. but that's not the case here.

The JDBC spec's Connection lifecycle seems to be aimed at a 1:1 mapping
to real physical connections, anyway. Once it's closed for whatever
reason, a Connection stays closed. If you want to do more work, you need
to get a new Connection.

-O