How to copy data between joined columns? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bryce Nesbitt
Subject How to copy data between joined columns?
Date
List pgsql-sql
I have a need to copy/update data from one column to another, based on a
join condition.  Is this easy to do in pure SQL?  I have google'ed
without luck for a easy solution (that's not Microsoft specific, that
is).  For example:

postgres=#
select xx_thing.date_start,xx_note.created_date
from xx_thing
join xx_issue using (thing_id) join xx_note using (issue_id)
where xx_note.created_date is not null;
    date_start     |    created_date
(...many... rows)

I need to copy date_start to created_date, for all records that meet a
particular where condition.
                  -Bryce Nesbitt

--
----