Re: have you feel anything when you read this ? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Eugene E.
Subject Re: have you feel anything when you read this ?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Stephan Szabo wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Eugene E. wrote:
>

>>Stephan Szabo wrote:

>>ok
>>then i am using PQexecParams
>>
>>the following tiny program shows a wonderful lameness...
>

> What lameness? The fact that you're trying to use a binary (network order
> maybe) integer as a string? That's not the fault of PQexecParams but
> of the code calling it.

You're right !
That's is not a fault of PQexecParams at all. That's the fault of its
design. (I pretty know why an integer has been not displayed, but why
they designed this function that way ? i do not know)

> It'd be nice for ease of use to be able to say, give me this
> column (the integer) as a string and this column (the bytea) as binary,

I always want to retrieve TEXT (and mostly INT) in TEXTUAL-FORM, and
BYTEA always in BINARY-FORM. (at least by defaul)

WHY SHOULD I RETRIVE A SINGLE BYTEA FIELD IN A SEPARATE QUERY ???

Look: if i define a field as of type BYTEA, doesn't it mean the field
tends to store binary data ? If does, then WHY they (by default) convert
its value to TEXTUAL-FORM which is not needed by default -- i already
inform the server: "i want some BINARY to in and out" when i have
choosed the type BYTEA