Re: giving users access to specific databases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kenneth Downs
Subject Re: giving users access to specific databases
Date
List pgsql-general
postgresql@teska.net wrote:
you should play around with phpPgAdmin for a while and let us know
specifically what we can help you with.

in pg_hba.conf you can set it so that users have access to any database if they are in a group (or do we say "role" now?) that has the same name as the database.

This is nifty because it lets you control everything after editing pg_hba.conf only once.  For each database create a group of the same name. Give users access by putting them into the group, revoke access by taking them out.

I also generally grant that particular group NO permissions, actual permissions to work with tables are granted by membership in more specialized groups.

I've managed to figure out how to fix most of my user access problems, but
I'm still having trouble limiting the list of databases users see when they
log in through phpPgAdmin.

I noticed in the config.inc.php file that I can set a user's view to only
show the databases that they own (via the $conf['owned_only'] = true;
parameter).  What I would like to do is limit the users to seeing the
databases for which they are a user for.  For example I would like to set a
parameter that was something like $conf['user_only'] = true.  This will be
particularly helpful for double checking which users have access to what
databases and also to eliminate confusion for less technically adept users
who would have to wade through all sorts of databases owned by other people
on the shared server my hosting company provides.

Thanks,
Courtenay

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Attachment