References NULL field - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Paul M Foster
Subject References NULL field
Date
List pgsql-sql
This is PostgreSQL 7.4 (long story). I have a table, registrars, which
has, among other things,

note_id integer references notes

The notes table has, among other things,

note_id integer default nextval('notes_seq')

Right now, there's nothing in the notes table, and all the records in
the registrars table have null for their note_id field.

I want to do a query (in PHP, FWIW) that returns all the fields in
registrars, and the contents of any relevant notes records, or null for
those fields if there is no corresponding record in the notes table. But
when I do

SELECT * FROM registrars, notes WHERE regname = 'blah'

no matter that I put after the 'blah' (or nothing), I get no results. As
soon as I add notes into the tables being queried, I get nothing.

There's some special way I need to shape this query, but I don't know
what it is. Any help would be appreciated.

--
Paul M. Foster