Rép. : Re: start/stop a database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Erwan DUROSELLE
Subject Rép. : Re: start/stop a database
Date
List pgsql-general
Scott,

Though there is not exact match, you may consider that:
Oracle instance <=> Postgres cluster
Oracle schema <=> Postgres database.
But there is a schema concept in Postgres that is pretty similar to the one in Oracle.
( Actually, I think there is a lack of "database" concept in Oracle.)

That's why you cannot "start" or "stop" a db. You start or stop a cluster.
But you can deny acess to a database with pg_hba.conf as  tatyana.krasnokutsky explained.

Other gotchas for those who come from the Oracle world:
  - PostgreSQL = pg = postgres
  - autocommit is the default in pg. If you want to be able to rollback, you must issue a BEGIN first.
  - no Toad on pg ;-), though there are several graphical admin tools. I like Pgadmin III:
http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/index.php
  - don't forget to VACUUM your db VERY often. Usually: more than once a day on active databases. Carefully read the
docson that subject.
  - no tablespace, no storage clause, no initial, next, .... Tablespaces should come up soon however (pg 7.5?)
  - no archive log, a.k.a. Point in Time Recovery. So there are only full backups.
  - the equivalent of initSID.ora is postgresql.conf
  - in postgresql.conf, always set fsync=TRUE  unless you are ready to loose your db afret a power failure.
  - in postgresql.conf, shared_buffers is the equivalent db_block_buffers in initSID.ora. Don't set it to high, it is
notusefull. Let the file system cache the data.
  - COPY is (roughly) the equivalent of SQL*LOAD

HTH,
Erwan

>>> "scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com> 09/01/2004 15:46:16 >>>