Re: table owner of cloned databases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stefan Fink
Subject Re: table owner of cloned databases
Date
List pgsql-general

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 11:04, Stefan Fink wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I would like to create a database based upon a template which also
>>contains some tables. After invoking
>>
>>psql -T <templateName> -U <dbuser> -O <dbowner> test
>>
>>the new database 'test' belongs to <dbowner> but all tables are still
>>belonging to the user who owns the template <templateName>. This results
>>in the following error message when accessing the tables:
>>
>>ERROR:  permission denied for relation <some table>
>>
>>Of course, I could alter the permissions in way that <dbowner> has
>>access to all tables. But it would be much nicer, if the owner of the
>>cloned database were inherited to all tables. Is there a way to achieve
>>this?
>

> The easy way to do this is to dump the source database with the -O
> switch, which turns off the generation of the sql that sets owner on the
> objects created during restore.
>
> If you can't get a fresh dump, for whatever reason, then you'll have to
> either hand edit the dump to remove those lines or write a one line sed
> script to remove them on the fly.

This makes usage of a template pointless at all - very unsatisfying.
I think the easiest way is to simply use a database defintion file and
to create every database by invoking

psql -U <dbuser> < <dbdefinition.sql>

This is exactly what I wanted to avoid :-(

Thanks anyway,
Stefan.