delete from joined tables - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From ann hedley
Subject delete from joined tables
Date
Re: delete from joined tables  (george young <gry@ll.mit.edu>)
List pgsql-novice
Hi

I want to delete rows out of table1 that match a selection based on
table2, tables joined on uniqueID.  i.e.

table1
  Column  |         Type          | Modifiers
----------+-----------------------+-----------
 est_id   | character varying(15) | not null
 sequence | text                  |

table2
              Table "public.est"
  Column  |         Type          | Modifiers
----------+-----------------------+-----------
 est_id   | character varying(15) | not null
 clus_id  | character varying(10) | not null

select * from table1 natural join table2 where clus_id like 'NVC%';

Selects the ones I want to delete but

delete from table1 natural join table2 where clus_id like 'NVC%';

gives me a parse error at natural and all other delete commands I've
tried fail.

I can add the clus_id column to table1 and then delete on that column
but surely I should be able to do it in one step?

Thanks

Ann