Re: Major donors - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Mike Ellsworth
Subject Re: Major donors
Date
Re: Major donors  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Re: Major donors  (Jim Nasby <jnasby@pervasive.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Jim C. Nasby wrote:

>>> I suspect it's a more significant thing, in fact, if a project
>>> attracts contributions from 50 individuals that add to $1000 (that's a
>>> mere $20 apiece) than if it attracts $10K from a corporate donor.
>>

>> I don't know about that; people tend to get a 'warm-fuzzy' when they
>> find out that major corporations are using/promoting/contributing to
>> PostgreSQL.

> Elein is a perfect example. If she goes to 3 shows how much is that
> worth? My day rate is 2500.00 (if I am out of towm) plus expenses....
>
> Frankly I would say:
>
> Two pages, one for businesses, on for individuals. To qualify to be
> on the page you have to donate more then "X" in-kind + dollars.
>
> The pages are alphabetical, no graphics.
>
> Joshua D. Drake

Without comment or opinion on the eventual approach, "cut-off $" or
monetization of non-cash contributions, a person/entity should receive a
brief "Thank you!" directly from PostgreSQL.org  -  regardless of the
size of the $$ contribution.  As it is now, if you go the SPI route, you
get a confirm from SPI but NADA from PG.

Not everyone needs or wants to have their names in lights, but I am
reasonably sure that anyone donating via SPI would at least like to know
that PG received the funds and that the contribution, however minute,
was received and appreciated.  There may be a timing issue on the funds
transfer, but somehow/someway/sometime, a Thank You needs to be triggered.

$10 may be peanuts to some, but not everywhere in the world.  Elephants
like peanuts. Eat 'em right up.