MaxLongVarChar and new lines in text - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Åsmund Kveim Lie
Subject MaxLongVarChar and new lines in text
Date
Re: MaxLongVarChar and new lines in text  (Hiroshi Inoue <inoue@tpf.co.jp>)
List pgsql-odbc
Hi,

I'm having a problem with line breaks and the MaxLongVarChar setting.
I'm using Postgrsql 8.1.3 and ODBC version 08.01.0200(ansi). When I set
MaxLongVarChar <= 16383 it gives different results than using
MaxLongVarChar > 16383 or MaxLongVarChar = -4 (which is no limit). I
insert a newline in the db like this: INSERT INTO test VALUES ('\n');
and then retrieve it from my odbc app and write the result to a file.
CommLogs and result files are attached.

When using a small MaxLongVarChar value the result is (in hex) 0a0d (new
line, carriage  teturn). For large MaxLongVarChar its 000a (new line
only). Any Windows app requires both new line and carriage return to
display new line correct. Any reason why this should differ when using
bigger values in MaxLongVarChar? We use the LF<->CR/LF conversion on.

I'm using 16383 in my app to day and it would be nice to increase this
without breaking my app.

Regards,

Åsmund Kveim Lie

Attachment