Re: ALTER TABLE x ALTER COLUMN y TYPE z - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: ALTER TABLE x ALTER COLUMN y TYPE z
Date
List pgsql-docs
<200603221400.33513.xzilla@users.sourceforge.net>, Robert Treat
<xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> I believe Tom's comments in this email apply similarly here.
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql- general/2006- 03/msg00891.php

The user comment's recommended technique includes this line:

ALTER TABLE tab DROP COLUMN temp_name;

Would this cause a table rewrite?  (Not a rhetorical question.  I
really don't know.)

> Feel free to submit an additional doc comment.

I did, but it was rejected -- presumably because it included a
question.  Once I have a better handle on the issue, if it seems like it
needs it, I'll try again.

-Kevin