Re: [BUGS] Crash report for some ICU-52 (debian8) COLLATE and work_mem values - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [BUGS] Crash report for some ICU-52 (debian8) COLLATE and work_mem values
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> writes:
> The comments that pg_import_system_collations() adds to each locale
> have an annoying tendency to exclude anything that isn't ascii-safe,

Right, but that's *necessary* for anything that goes into template0.

> Notice the lack of descriptions here, just because they weren't
> ascii-safe. I now wonder if we should even keep the comment thing at
> all. We can eventually add an SQL function, that is called by \dOS+,
> that interrogates ICU for a description on the fly.

Yup, the same idea came to me as I was reading your message.
So we don't really want a pg_collation column either, but a function
that can produce a result that varies with the current database's
encoding.

> Another thing that I dislike about get_icu_locale_comment() is that
> the descriptions we show are always English display names, regardless
> of pg_database collation or anything else. We shouldn't hard-code the
> use of English for display name, on general principle.

Again, that was mostly driven by the desire to get ASCII results
(or at least so I imagine; Peter E. might have a different take).
I think there's value in having a function that produces such a
description, but we could have a different one that produces a
description in the language indicated by the database's locale.