Re: [INTERFACES] win32 libpq version is "too new" - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] win32 libpq version is "too new"
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
nico@clubdelphi.com (Nicolas Aragon) writes:
> I *can not* update the backend so:

You really ought to reconsider that -- 6.4.* is noticeably more stable
than 6.3.2 in my experience.  And a 6.4 server will still talk to 6.3
clients, if that's what you're worried about.

> Is there a binary version of the Windows client DLL that works with
> postgresql_6.3.2-8? And then, where could I download it?

You will need to look for a 6.3 version of the DLL.  I haven't got one,
but perhaps someone else does.

> Another try: can I use any option to force the client to be backwards
> compatible without recompiling it? Maybe in the connect call?

No, there is no way that 6.4 libpq can be persuaded to talk to a 6.3
server; it depends in some fundamental ways on features of the newer
protocol.  Revising a #define or three will not do the trick.  If it
were that easy, we wouldn't have broken compatibility in the first place.
        regards, tom lane